Decadent Brownie Bites (Vegan and Gluten-Free)
As I type this post, I am happily snacking away on these decadent, moist, chocolaty and GUILT-FREE brownie bites (I may even have some chocolate on my face). My kids are my most enthusiastic cheerleaders and can also be my most vocal critics when it comes to taste-testing any new recipes I'm working on. Like most kids, they don't hold anything back! That is why I am so excited to share this recipe with you. It garnered two BIG thumbs up, especially when I topped their brownie bites with our favorite whipped topping: So Delicious Cocowhip!
(makes 12 mini muffins and takes about 15 minutes to prepare and 25 minutes to cook)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 vegan egg substitute (3 TBSP warm water mixed with 1 TBSP ground flax meal, stir and let rest for about 10 minutes, this will resemble the consistency of egg whites)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 TBSP warm water
- good drizzle of pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 cup gluten-free oat flour
- optional add ins: 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips, 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. (I used a silicone mini cupcake pan, but if you are using a regular tin pan, line with paper liners or coat with coconut oil)
- In a large bowl, mash the avocado very well, add the melted coconut oil and egg substitute, mix well getting rid of any lumps or bumps! Add the coconut sugar, warm water, vanilla extract, dark cocoa powder, and sea salt. Mix well. Add the oat flour until just combined, don't over mix. If you are using any of the add ins, fold in now.
- Scoop evenly among the mini muffin pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out fairly clean. Because they are so moist, the toothpick won't come out completely clean!
- Remove from oven and try to resist eating them before they are completely cooled!
- Eat withing a few days, stored in the fridge in an airtight container or freeze for up to 3 months.